If you are contemplating changing something in your behavior or other aspects of your life, having a supportive environment is crucial. Some of the things that matter include your family and friends, other communities you are part of such as co-workers and fellow students, your pets, your reading, and events and activities. These things can amplify your happiness on your best days and cheer you up on rainy days. They can also contribute to your growth and development.
During the last two years, I have created close to an ideal environment for myself. It became possible as a result of a lot of work, education and favorable circumstances. I also made a firm commitment to take as many conflict resolution / mediation training classes as I could to boost my confidence and to ensure it was something I really wanted to pursue. I have been fortunate to have stability at my daily job. I’ve enjoyed lovely experiences with old friends and have also found new friends.
Some of the activities that have enriched my life are as follows:
- Attendance of monthly workshops with Dan Clurman and Mudita Nisker that enormously enriched my knowledge and skills in communications.
- John Ford’s Conflict Resolution Theory and Mediation courses at Golden Gate University were invaluable and very impactful for my formation as a Conflict Coach and a Mediator.
- Involvement in volunteer work with Community Boards, support and encouragement from its ADR Programs Director Karen Lipney.
- Luck to meet with Betsy Zeger, a wonderful coach who helped me see how stuck I was and how I wasn’t ready to accept my not-so-ideal circumstances at that time.
- Attendance of New Ventures West’s “Free Coaching as a Guest Client” program which uncovered a few of my blind spots.
- Shows at A.C.T., SHN, Berkeley Repertory Theatre, and concerts at SFJAZZ Center added excitement and have been an endless source of creativity and novelty to me.
- An increased involvement in my 13 year old godson’s education, coaching and motivating him, helping him create his first website definitely added to my life purpose.
- Daily Abraham-Hicks Daily Quotes have been very inspirational and inviting to reflect on my beliefs.
- Nancy Morris’ 60-second audio podcasts “Simple. Sound. Solutions.” have been very motivational in times of reaching goals, time management or attitude attunement. Click here to hear a sample.
- Last, but not least, one of my sources of fun and joy has been to see daily adventures of my favorite Esther the Wonder Pig at her Happily Ever Esther Farm Sanctuary in Canada. 🙂
What environment do you live in?
How do you create a supportive environment for yourself?
What can you do to make it better?